With an estimated 2.5 million sufferers in the UK, back pain is a serious problem. Not only is back pain frustrating but if left ignored and untreated it can escalate to become debilitating. A lot of the time, the cause is something that could’ve been avoided with a slight change in behaviour, or a preventative visit to your Osteopath. Here are 5 common causes of back pain:
- Posture – do you often find yourself slouching, or hunching over your computer? Bad posture can have long-term effects on your back and causes you pain.
- Muscle strain – trying to lift a heavy object incorrectly or moving your body in a fast and jarring way can sometimes cause a muscle strain.
- Pinched nerve – also called ‘nerve impingement’, this is a common but painful injury. Luckily it can be treated with a visit to your Osteopaths and the right course of treatment.
- Osteoarthritis – this is the most common form of arthritis and can be caused by genetics or lifestyle factors, such as obesity. If you leave a long-term injury untreated, this can also lead to Osteoarthritis.
- Disc disease – disc disease is a weakening in the spine. It has lots of causes, such as obesity, genetics or overload.
Although a lot of these injuries can be avoided, the best way to diagnose and treat your pain is to visit your Osteopath. That way, you can ease your discomfort before it potentially evolves into something worse!
To discuss getting the most out of your back and helpful advice for keeping your body in Tip-Top shape, call Fulham Osteopaths, the experts in Back Pain treatment and self care. 020 7384 1851